Tuesday 26 June 2012

Birbal explains :How to tell 'your strengths and weakness'


        INTERVIEW-PART.6 

               Birbal was back from an important meeting with Akbar. He was very tired. Unexpectedly there was a guest waiting for him at the house. Birbal’s wife announced the evening menu and further informed “A boy has come here five hours ago. He is still waiting. So I gave him some food  and then snacks.”
“Who is it? Did you tell anything?”
“No. Finish your snacks and then go” curtly came the order. Birbal washed his face and chanted his evening prayers very quietly. He ate the tasty refreshments and went to the guest room to meet the newcomer.
“Birbalji, salaam alayukkum. I am Naushad. You have to help me. The interview is due in five days for the post of junior ministers. Please train me, Sir. My entire family will be thankful to you.”
Birbal, at that moment, understood that this was the young man recommended by Khan.
“What do you want, my son?”
“Please teach me how to attend an interview? My aim is to join our King’s court.”
“you are the nephew of Khan. Isn’t it? Then you are like my own son. Don’t worry. I will train you this week for the interview successfully. First let me know your strengths and weakness. This will help me a lot to shape you.”
“Oh…It is really difficult to tell my weakness. I know horse riding. I am an expert in archery. I can manage an elephant in wars. But one thing which I can call my weakness is: I am very much uncomfortable with questions like this. But I know I can’t obviously announce this as my weakness. How can I manage, then?”
Listening to this, Khan, the courtier entered “If you want a job, face the questions? Else go back to your village. Do you know what type of questions we have to face everyday?
Let me tell you, my son. Birbal and I visited Persia last month. We had been never there before.  Do you know what happened there?”
He narrated:
‘There were eight people on the throne. All were almost identical. One among them was the genuine king. A minister welcomed Birbal and us telling “Birbal, you have to find out the real King.”
Birbal immediately told “Sure I will abide by the King’s order. But one thing
surprises me. In our country if somebody sits on the throne, he will be immediately beheaded.” Saying this Birbal started looking at all the eight.
 Then he bowed to the seventh person and submissively requested “Your majesty, my salutations!”
The seventh man who was the authentic king stood astonished and replied “Welcome, Birbal, the wisest. How did you uncover the truth?”
“It was easy. All of you were very still and statue like in your posture. But the one magic word –beheaded- changed things. Except yours, all the seven pairs of eyes began showing restlessness with a shadow of fear, though, otherwise unmoving. On the other hand, your eyes were fearless, peaceful and looking amused.”
“Great, you won.” was the happy response of the Persian King.’
Khan finished the story.

“Now think Naushad, it is the presence of mind which saved us. Birbal did not hate or fear questions. But he used them to sharpen his thinking further. He looked for solutions. That should be the attitude.”

Birbal interfered “So, Naushad, listen. If I were you, my answer for ‘strengths and weakness’ would be: I have proficiency in horse riding, martial arts and Persian language. I have won several contests in these areas. My weakness is fear for the great and respected people..not about battle field. Now in front of all people like you, I am afraid to speak. However I will surely overcome this negative quality.”

Khan encouragingly told “Naushad, Look at your words. Compare. How the same sentence is  cleverly changed by Birbal!”

“Naushad, sometimes you need not tell your negative side  if it has nothing to do with your job. If it is serious enough to affect directly the day to day duties of the office, you must accept them and tell them how you will try to overcome those faults. Persistence never fails. We can change if we think so and start changing.”

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Note on ‘Ago and Before’:
Ago     : From now; Example:- I heard a police siren five minutes ago. ( From this minute 5 minutes ago)
                   We can use it to explain a time from the point  ‘now’ that is present moment.
Before: usually used to explain a past from past. ‘Last night’ is past.
              Last night I met our ex-president.
             (PAST)
              Before that I never had a chance to meet him.
              (Before last night-goes into past-beyond last night) means: Before last night I never met
                        ex-president.

1 comment:

  1. interesting....... n informative......thank u 4 the great work.....

    ReplyDelete