Wednesday 24 October 2012

Interview Part-14: Samson manages stress questions. How?


 If you need ,you can go thru previous posts to know about interviews.

INTERVIEW-14: STRESS-2


 “Shall we start, My Boys? I need to go earlier today for lunch. I am expecting a relative to meet me during lunch.” Our Ex indicated his wish to finish the process earlier.
We called Samson and handed over his file to our Ex Gm who was the chairman of the interview panel. Samson, the next candidate, entered.
“So you are, Johnson… sorry… Samson. Take your seat, please.”
“Thanks,” He sat at the edge and started expecting salvos.
“Tell me about you” Our Ex posed the same question.
Samson was hesitant and undecided a second and then asked “Sir, Shall I tell about the details which are not in the resume?”
“So, you talked to the previous man, Nirmal; and now you try to show that you are smarter than him by putting forward this question. Isn’t it?” Our G.M yelled at him

We took a new interest now and started observing Samson. He closed his eyes for a moment. It might be a prayer I thought. There were droplets of sweat on his forehead
“No, sir, with all due respects, I felt that I should not be boring you all by repeating the same thing which were already reported there. That is the true reason …”
“Nirmal has enlightened you about how to deal with me.” He fired the next sharp and direct attack.
Though the boy was managing, we could feel his uneasiness behind the artificial smile.
“Sir, I don’t know his name. As you have told, I asked him about his experience in this interview. I am usually comfortable when I know what happens around me. It definitely adds to our strength to deal with others.”
“Now you are short of telling that you are a great guy who always observe and be alert to circumstances. Blowing own trumpet?” Again almost he gunned the candidate point blank.
“…….”
“Keeping quiet? …No more arguments. No explanations. No sorry.” Ex G.M proactively tried to frighten Samson.
“No…not at all, Sir. To your first question, I prefer to answer about me with details outside my resume.”
“Mr.Samson” He shouted “Here, I am the boss and I’ll decide what you say ... Understand….Tell me in three lines about you.”
Samson slightly confused on this assertion and thought a moment “Sir, I am a team leader in ‘Marstech’ for past two years. (EXPERIENCE) Now I have completed my MBA in IT management.(EDUCATION) I have appreciations for making the process management easier and the resultant cost cutting in the expenses….(EXPERIENCE)”
“All of you are obsessed with your MBA? Do you know why American markets failed and the crises some years ago?” I could see the replay of Nirmal episode.
“Americans had prime lending crises. There was a study going on whether it was due to MBAs who introduced derivatives. They have a plan to modify the syllabus of MBA”
It came out very steadily from Samson’s mouth. (Might be news to ‘Terror’ and us!)
‘Terror’ didn’t expect this turn in interview. He immediately shot back “That is why I ask you, how you are  proud of your MBA?”
“Sir, None of you is an MBA. But your B.A is more than our present MBA. You are interviewing MBAs, BEs and B.Techs. Even then we need MBA because it is almost like your XIth class of those days. Otherwise I may not fit in the new world order”
Again ‘Terror’-our Ex G.M bounced back “So…some how  ...you have got explanations to all questions. Then tell me what is blond and brunet?”
“Sir…it…. I’m bit confused… I don’t know the exact meaning. But it is related to color of hair and identifying people. I’m really sorry” He was caught off the track.
Our Ex GM triumphantly looked at us and then to him.
“You do not know the meaning of this simple word. But you change your company only to tell them a ‘Bye’ at the end of another three years. Aren’t you ashamed?”
The boy seemed to have strength “My present company is small. The business is managed by a family of engineers and MBAs.  There is no more expansion in the company. Naturally my doors are shut for promotion. But yours is an MNC with a world renowned corporate governance record. Then why should I look for another company? I won’t leave.”
“Empty promises. All you need is some more thousands. Subsequently, I know you, pack off to another MNC. Now …it is over. You can go.” It was an abrupt fare well.
Philips asked him “Do you have any question?”
“Really ...no..... But what is exactly blond? Will you, please, tell me?”
“Go and verify the dictionary. We don’t have to answer the question.” Our Ex GM cut him off. With a loud thanks to all of us he slowly moved out.
“What is your opinion about him?” Our master asked. Philips told “He is definitely  ...okay for us.”
“Then, how did I manage?” our Ex inquired us expectantly.
I swiftly retorted “His last question ...your reply! You managed greatly.” He understood the underlying sarcasm. Even so, he could not avoid laughing with us.
*********************************************************************************

Vocabulary Corner:
Blond    :  Fair haired person / Person with golden color; common word describing man or woman.
Blonde:    Describes only a woman or girl.
Brunet    : Dark haired man/ color of his hair
Brunette: Dark haired woman or girl/ color of her hair


No comments:

Post a Comment