Thursday 7 November 2013

IELTS series-4: DON'T PASS OUT, BUT PASS YOUR EXAMINATION!

“DON'T PASS OUT; BUT PASS YOUR EXAMINATION”

It was 11.00 at night. After my wife told me to wait for ‘a little extra time’, I enjoyed a nap. I felt like half dreaming and half conscious in the air conditioned mall in our town.
I could hear some conversations and scattered voices. The one, which brought out of my happy dreaming, was a voice proudly saying “....in 1964, I PASSED OUT OF MY COLLEGE with flying colors as a gold medalist...” He was beaming with pride at the person next to him and I looked at the victim who might have been bearing this nonstop boasting for quite a long time. He appeared resigned. He was not at all bothered about what the fellow was rattling on. But his tired eyes were searching for somebody...might be his wife. I looked at him with all kindness and pity. Let us pray that his wife and mine would appear soon from their buying spree. Now shall we discuss about: pass out?

PASSED OUT...? Is it correct? NO. It is wrong.
PASS OUT means ‘GOING UNCONSCIOUS” or ‘FAINTING’.
When you pass a course “I passed the examination” or “I GRADUATED” is completely okay.
“I PASSED THE FINAL SEMESTER SUCCESSFULLY.” Correct.
But, don’t use ‘pass out’.

Meanwhile somebody shouted. “Oh... look at him. He passed out. Bring some water...give space and air”

I saw our nonstop boasting friend fainting. Somebody loosened his shirts. Within minutes of help he gained normal consciousness. He started again to sing his own praises, but in a feeble voice “Last year also I fainted in the same place.....” and suddenly he stopped. His wife was staring at him in anger and the newly acquainted friend was hurrying out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment