Thursday 2 June 2011

Had and Had better

Hi,

I’m ‘HAD’. Usually people try to go away from old persons like me. Some of you call me ‘granny’ because I am always associated with past.

Many of you use me in two ways: As single verb or as past perfect.

My position as single verb:

I know that you are very intelligent people. Examples are enough for you to know and understand this simple use.

I had a book on ‘Essentials of Balanced Food’ ( implying that i don't have it now).

In Past Perfect use:

I usually refer to past. A little confused? Let me explain.

Example:

I went to my college last month (a reference to past action) to receive my Diploma which I had completed three years ago (this was completed three years ago from last month)

Here there are two past actions.

One is ‘visit to college last month’. O k!

Then Second one is ‘Diploma course was completed still earlier’. Right!

I always get along with ‘chronologically earlier action’ or to put it in a more informal way ‘older or elder action’.

Nowadays people avoid me. I expect that ‘Past Perfect’ might become archaic and a part of unused grammar.

On the other hand ‘this granny with a better companion’ gets changed into a complete new person and gives a future meaning. I mean ‘had better’.

Examples:

You had better apply for passport on Monday. (You should apply for passport on Monday)

He had better get out of this place; otherwise he may invite anger from mother.

Here I mean ‘immediate future’ and serve as a better replacement for ‘should or ought to’.

I don’t want to bore you much. I had better say a bye to you all.

With regards,

Had

PS: As a granny with memory loss, I made a mistake in using the word ‘persons’. My teacher used to say that the plural for person is people. So remember to use person and people properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment