Saturday 30 April 2011

The Good old man, Fish and me



The good Old man, fish and me

I usually go for walk. The sea was calm. It was a warm morning. I was watching him in action for several years. On that day I chose to have a talk with him.
He was busy throwing back into sea some of the star fish which were brought by the incessant waves. Both of them, the old man and the sea, worked tirelessly against each other.
I asked “Old man, what are you doing?”
“I am throwing back the star fish into sea”.
“Turn back and watch. Thousands of them are lying dead behind you. Every next wave throws a lot of countless fish. Could you save all of them?”
“No” came the reply.
“Then what is the use of your action?  Don’t waste your time. Walk…, do some exercise, and then go home. Do you have a home?” I asked in doubt.
He replied politely “What? I am having 3 sons and 2 daughters. I have a family business as well. I started doing this at the age of 9. Almost sixty years have gone. Everyday I save around 100 star fish within this one hour of walk. Every year I save up to 30000 fish. 60 years. Now calculate. That is what I have saved so far. If you can also save one, do it. Or let me do what I believe in. Because every minute wasted is death to another star fish.”

In my home after listening to this story my son called me in one word “Cynic”.
I smiled. Actually I had saved some of the ants in the bath room that evening after this star fish incident. I felt the joy of saving  some fellow beings, first time, in my life. I am not a cynic or merely a critic.
 Next morning I also started throwing back the star fish into sea to enable them have another lease of life.
This time the old man shouted at me, of course, happily “I am having two more hands now.” 

Use of ‘Having’: Is it right or wrong?
It is wrong to ‘have’ in progressive tense if it means owning or possession.
Example:- Wrong: I am having a car.
                 Correct: I have a car.              
                       Wrong: I am having a friend or am having a son.
                       Correct: I have a friend or have a son.
                                    Wrong: I am having two more hands now.
                                    Correct: I have two more hands now.
                When do we use progressive tense?
                For temporary actions like:   I will call you later, I am having a meeting now or i'm having a bath.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                .

2 comments:

  1. your new idea is appreciable

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting... the way u approach us itself is also a lesson to us,they r all simple in nature easily understandable and much informative.. thank u for the nice work....

    ReplyDelete