Friday 1 February 2013

What is interview? Part-17-situation-2


How to face  Interviews-Part:17   Behavioral  Interview-2

Behavior is the result of your knowledge, experience and then your character in a given situation. It expresses your approach, intelligence and ability in solving problems.


We, the interview panel, came into the room. Our task was to select officers for forest services. I was one of the members and a bit nervous. It is very natural, if you wonder why  I was uneasy. Don’t you?
Because that was the first time I was going to ask some questions in order to understand the personality of somebody and give him some marks. I still have a doubt whether anybody can be evaluated within a span of 10 to 20 minutes of conversation.
I asked our chairman “Sir, do you believe that with our questions we can understand people and find out the right candidate?”
He laughed and some others smiled, understanding the camouflaged tension behind my question.
The chairman answered “It depends on the ability of the interviewer to pose right questions and the skill of the candidate in clearly expressing him.”
Then he continued “Situation questions in interviews really expose a lot about the behavioral pattern of the candidate.”
I nodded awkwardly concealing my ignorance on what he meant. (I was secretly worried about: “whether these members have gauged my lack of knowledge.”)
After a cup of hot tea with ginger, I felt some what better. We called the first candidate. We asked several questions and had  replies. Some were right; some were  half expressed and some were wrong.
Let me share with you about that one question which our chairman asked.
“Mr. Edwin, please listen to me carefully. Now I am going to describe you a situation. You are very much interested in conservation of forests and nature. Isn’t it? Imagine you are in charge of a forest. Tigers are dwindling there in numbers. They have to be protected. Poachers are there in and around your area. What will you do?”
“Yes Sir. They are really in an endangered condition. Some of the eastern countries make medicines and so need medicines...........” He was thinking further.
“Okay...okay. Leave all those things and focus on the answer.” Our chairman interfered impatiently.
“...Sorry sir. What I will do is ....I will increase surveillance and place some of the tribal people as our spies to inform  the movement of poachers. Then I will try to educate the people about the importance of tigers and conservation. Ehrr... I will also recommend strict and stringent laws to punish criminals......Ehrr...” he blinked for a second and started searching for words.
“Good! Best of luck, young man! You can go.” Our chairman shook hands with him. He went out looking unsatisfied.

Next person came inside. I felt still better because my confidence in interviewing others went up. Now I started enjoying it.
We all interviewed him. The same question was thrown to him with a particular instruction to be brief in answering.
“Sir, if I am posted,...ehrr... I will do five things.........
Firstly, I will try to get data about the criminals in and around forest villages; collect data about watchers and NGOs who have become wealthy recently; analyze it to find out the connection;
Secondly, I’ll try to have honest people around me with incentives and appreciations; announce punishments for the erring staff
Thirdly, I will try to have modern small digital cameras around all the water holes in side the forest, where animals generally come for water; also I will install cameras in different locations of forest to watch the suspicious movement of  people
Fourthly, I will try to get help from our space organization using their spy satellites, which can send images regularly of the movements of animals or human beings deep inside forest;
Fifthly, but very important one is that I will have massive public campaign involving NGOs, environmentalists, animal lovers, magazines students about conservation and it will involve films, documentaries, dances, songs and competitions.  ......and then.....”
Our chairman stopped him.The interview was over. He neither appreciated it nor shook hands with him. The second candidate thanked and went out. 
The chairman looked at us and asked “Whom will you select?”
Suddenly I found myself answering “The second one...”
“Why?”
“He clearly expressed his ideas well supported by latest scientific improvements and logical thinking. Also he went on telling about how he will use carrot and stick management in his office. In addition he linked many ideas like a garland of flowers.”
“Now tell me....Do you believe that in 10 minutes we can find out the right person?” He asked me.
“.... Is it enough...Sir?” My reaction was still with all reservations .

Before I completed he threw us into a dilemma “I really don’t know. But I selected you all in the same manner almost twenty years ago.”

We became dumb! I was clean bowled. Because how could I refuse that I was not a right candidate?

*****************************************************************
VOCABULARY CORNER:
CARROT AND STICK: 
 THINK OF A DONKEY WHICH DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE. THE OWNER TRIES TO SHOW A CARROT IN FRONT OF IT SO THAT IT STARTS MOVING TOWARDS IT.
SOME TIMES HE MAY HAVE TO USE A STICK OR WHIP TO FORCE IT MOVE.
CARROT CAN BE AN INCENTIVE AND STICK IS PUNISHMENT.EITHER ONE OF THEM OR BOTH USED IN RIGHT MIXTURES gives good result on several occasions.

visit: www.nathanenglish.com

2 comments:

  1. So, first interview is an interview for the interviewer. Whether the same condition will continue in further interviews also? This information will help the candidates to assess the interviewers and prepare for interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog is so nice and its very useful.I would like u to continue the same.

      Delete